What services are available to employers?
Our goal is to provide strategies, services and recruitment solutions to employers seeking UMBC talent through targeted outreach and supportive, ongoing relationships. Some of the services we offer include individual consultation; job, co-op and internship postings and resume database access through UMBCworks (our online recruitment system); job fairs; on-campus interviews; information sessions/tables; and UMBC Connects events.
What is special about UMBC and UMBC students/alumni?
UMBC is consistently cited as one of the country’s most innovative colleges and universities. We are committed to producing cutting-edge research while providing a distinctive undergraduate experience. Our approach has been recognized by higher education experts and national media. UMBC continues to lead the list of universities making “the most promising and innovative changes” with an “unusually strong commitment to undergraduate teaching,” and we are consistently recognized for prioritizing intensive undergraduate research and creative work. Learn more About UMBC.
UMBC offers majors, minors and certificate programs spanning the arts, engineering and information technology, humanities, sciences, pre-professional studies and social sciences. Learn more about UMBC Colleges and Degrees.
Our Graduate School offers master’s degree programs, doctoral degree programs and graduate certificate programs. Programs include education, engineering, emergency health services, imaging and digital arts, information technology, aging services, life sciences, psychology, public policy and a host of other fields.
UMBC’s 500-acre campus is just 15 minutes from Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, 30 minutes from Washington, D.C., and five minutes from BWI airport. We are home to more than 25 research centers and institutes, as well as bwtech@umbc Research and Technology Park and the techcenter@UMBC business incubator.
UMBCworks is our online recruitment system which allows you to post jobs, search resumes and schedule on-campus recruitment events. To open an account:
- Go to UMBCworks and click on one of the following tabs:
- Click on the “Register” tab to create your new account and request a password. OR
- If you would like to register for a new account and you’re ready now to post a job to UMBCworks, click on the “Register and Post a Local Job” tab.
- Wait for confirmation of your new account. New account requests are reviewed by Career Center staff and are usually processed within one business day.
- Enter jobs and search resumes: Once your new account request has been processed, we will email your UMBCworks username (your email address) and password. From here on out, you’ll be able to access and utilize UMBCworks at https://umbc-csm.symplicity.com/employers to post jobs and request on-campus interviews. Once you post a position, you’ll also have access to our resume database.
How do I post a job or schedule interviews on campus?
Jobs are posted online through UMBCworks, our online recruitment system which allows you to post jobs, search resumes and schedule on-campus recruitment events.
How will I know who applies for my job?
Students/alumni will apply for your job through UMBCworks. When you post your job, you will indicate the application method (i.e., email you through the UMBCworks system, email/fax documents directly to you or apply through your own online application). For full-time and part-time positions, if students are to apply through UMBCworks, you will review applications by logging into your UMBCworks account. For internships, co-ops, and research, you will receive a pdf packet of application documents each week from our recruitment assistant, Cindy Poland, until the job closes. If there is an on-campus recruitment schedule attached to your job, resumes will be available to review after the deadline date for applications.
What if I don’t know my password for UMBCworks?
Once you have accessed UMBCworks simply enter your email address and hit “Forgot Password.” This will prompt the system to email you a link to reset your password (usually within 15 minutes or less). If you need assistance, please call us at 410-455-2216.
How can I connect with students to communicate information about my company/organization and our employment opportunities?
- Information Sessions/Tables – Schedule an information session in conjunction with on-campus interviews or as a stand-alone recruitment visit. Information sessions can be requested and scheduled through your UMBCworks account. We would reserve a room on campus where you can hold your session. Information tables can also be reserved in UMBCworks or by contacting us at 410-455-2216. Information tables are set up on Main Street in The Commons where there is high student traffic. Information sessions/tables are heavily advertised to students and students who match the qualifications you indicate are targeted. If you need to open a UMBCworks account, please see question three.
- UMBC Connects – This one-day program offers your organization the opportunity to be showcased on campus and increases your visibility as a key employing institution and UMBC partner. Tailored to your organization’s needs and specific goals, traditional schedules may include information sessions, career-related workshops, alumni networking events, lunch and/or receptions, etc. The day will be preceded with an extensive advertising campaign, allowing all of UMBC’s students the opportunity to become familiar with your organization as an employer of choice. The Career Center will assist you in designing your day and take care of campus advertising and logistics, such as parking, reserving facilities, ordering catering and securing audio/visual equipment. Please contact Sue Plitt, associate director for recruiting and marketing, at 410-455-22340 to reserve a date.
- Job Fairs – UMBC hosts/sponsors several on-campus job/career fairs each academic year. Meet directly on-campus with hundreds of talented students. Typically, registration is available several months before the scheduled event.
- On-campus interviewing – UMBC offers employers the opportunity to pre-screen and interview students for full-time, career-related positions. You can schedule your on-campus interview schedule through UMBCworks. On-campus recruitment schedules are heavily advertised to the general student population, but we also conduct targeted outreach to students who match your qualifications.
What is an information session/table and how do I schedule one?
Employers interested in hiring UMBC students typically schedule information sessions and information tables during fall and spring semesters to share details about their organizations and their positions. These are great opportunities to meet face-to-face with students, network and gather information on potential employees. You can request and schedule Information sessions through your UMBCworks account. We’ll reserve a room on campus for your session. Information tables can also be reserved in UMBCworks or by contacting us at 410-455-2216. Tables are set up on Main Street in The Commons where there is high student traffic. Information sessions/tables are heavily advertised to the general student population, but we also conduct targeted outreach to students who match your qualifications.
Where can I find a list of your upcoming events and jobs fairs?
Please check the Calendar section of our website, where you will also find registration information. There is also a comprehensive calendar available in UMBCworks. If you need to open a UMBCworks account, please see question three.
How do I post a volunteer or service-learning opportunity?
Volunteer and service-learning opportunities are handled through The Shriver Center at UMBC. Call 410-455-2493 or visit http://shrivercenter.umbc.edu to learn more.