What services are available to employers?
Our goal is to provide strategies, services, and recruitment solutions to employers seeking UMBC talent through targeted outreach and supportive, ongoing relationships. Our team is offering a hybrid approach to include on-campus and virtual recruiting opportunities to connect with our students and alumni. This hybrid approach will allow our students and you as our employers to decide on which engagements work best for you and your team. Some of the services we offer include individual consultation; job, co-op, and internship postings, and resume database access through Handshake (our online recruitment system); job fairs; on-campus interviews; information sessions/tables; and UMBC Connects events.
What is special about UMBC and UMBC students/alumni?
UMBC is consistently cited as one of the country’s most innovative colleges and universities. We are committed to producing cutting-edge research while providing a distinctive undergraduate experience. Our approach has been recognized by higher education experts and national media. UMBC continues to lead the list of universities making “the most promising and innovative changes” with an “unusually strong commitment to undergraduate teaching,” and we are consistently recognized for prioritizing intensive undergraduate research and creative work. Learn more About UMBC.
UMBC offers majors, minors, and certificate programs spanning the arts, engineering and information technology, humanities, sciences, pre-professional studies, and social sciences. Learn more about UMBC Colleges and Degrees.
Our Graduate School offers master’s degree programs, doctoral degree programs and graduate certificate programs. Programs include education, engineering, emergency health services, imaging and digital arts, information technology, aging services, life sciences, psychology, public policy, and a host of other fields.
UMBC’s 500-acre campus is just 15 minutes from Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, 30 minutes from Washington, D.C., and five minutes from BWI airport. We are home to more than 25 research centers and institutes, as well as bwtech@umbc Research and Technology Park.
What is Handshake and how do I open an account?
Handshake is our online recruitment system which allows you to post job and internship opportunities, search resumes, and schedule on-campus recruitment events. To open an account:
- Go to Handshake and follow the prompts to type in your company email and create your password. Then click “Sign Up”.
- Join your company in Handshake
- If your company already exists in Handshake, it will auto-populate based on your email domain.
- If your company does not yet exist in Handshake, you will see the option to create it.
- Connect with UMBC in Handshake
- Select University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) when you are prompted to connect with universities in Handshake.
- Once we receive your request to connect with us, we will need to approve your request. New account requests are reviewed and usually processed within one business day.
- Post your opportunities, search resumes, request and promote your recruiting events!
For full instructions, additional information and resources, please view our Employer Handshake Resources page.
How do I post a job or schedule interviews on campus?
How will I know who applies for my job?
Students/alumni will apply for your job through Handshake. When you post your job, you indicate the application method which will dictate how you will receive applications (via email directly to you, via a provided application link, or candidates applying via Handshake). If you indicate that candidates should apply via Handshake, you will review applications by logging into your Handshake account. In your job posting settings, you can also indication if you would like to be notified by email when someone applies, and how often you receive those email notifications. If there is an on-campus recruitment schedule attached to your job, resumes will be available to be reviewed after the deadline date for applications.
What if I don’t know my password for Handshake?
Visit the Handshake login page, enter the email you used to create your account (your company email), and click “Next”. On the next page, click “Forgot Password” and follow the prompts to create a new password. If you need assistance, please call us at 410-455-2216.
How can I connect with students to communicate information about my company/organization and our employment opportunities?
- Information Sessions/Tables – Schedule an information session in conjunction with on-campus interviews or as a stand-alone recruitment visit. Information sessions and tables can be requested through your Handshake account or by contacting our Assistant Director, Annie Byrd, firstname.lastname@example.org. Information sessions/tables are advertised to students and students who match the qualifications you indicate are targeted.
- UMBC Connects – This one-day program offers your organization the opportunity to be showcased on campus and increases your visibility as a key employing institution and UMBC partner. Tailored to your organization’s needs and specific goals, traditional schedules may include information sessions, career-related workshops, alumni networking events, lunch and/or receptions, etc. The day will be preceded with an extensive advertising campaign, allowing all of UMBC’s students the opportunity to become familiar with your organization as an employer of choice. The Career Center will assist you in designing your day and take care of campus advertising and logistics, such as parking, reserving facilities, ordering catering and securing audio/visual equipment. Please contact Paige Bauder, Associate Director for Employer Relations and Recruitment Programs, at 410-455-6548 to reserve a date.
- Job Fairs – UMBC hosts multiple career fairs each academic year. Meet directly with hundreds of talented students. Typically, registration is available several months before the scheduled event. Please see our Career Fairs & Events page for upcoming dates and registration details.
- On-campus interviewing – UMBC offers employers the opportunity to pre-screen and interview students for full-time, career-related positions. You can schedule your on-campus interview schedule through Handshake. On-campus recruitment schedules are heavily advertised to the general student population, but we also conduct targeted outreach to students who match your qualifications.
What is an information session/table (Career Corner) and how do I schedule one?
Employers interested in hiring UMBC students typically schedule information sessions and information tables during the fall and spring semesters to share details about their organizations and their positions. These are great opportunities to meet with students, network, and gather information on potential employees. You can request and schedule information sessions and information tables through your Handshake account. Tables are set up on Main Street in The Commons where there is high student traffic. Information sessions/tables are heavily advertised to the general student population, and we also conduct targeted outreach to students who match your qualifications.
Where can I find a list of your upcoming events and job fairs?
How do I post a volunteer or service-learning opportunity?
Volunteer and service-learning opportunities are handled through The Shriver Center at UMBC. Call 410-455-2493 or visit shrivercenter.umbc.edu to learn more.