UMBC’s Career Center is committed to ensuring nondiscriminatory participation for all students including those who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex, asexual, or an ally.
Advising is available at the Career Center to discuss any sexual orientation concerns related to your job search. Call the reception desk at (410) 455-2216 to schedule an appointment. You may disclose your concerns to the advisor during the appointment, as you wish.
Possible Career Related Issues to Consider
- Whether or not to be “out” on the job
- LGBTQIA discrimination and protection against discrimination
- Barriers to entering specific career fields
- Resumes (including community or political groups)
- Interviews and negotiation process (discussing family; relocation)
- Benefits/Sick Leave
- Finding Companies with non-discrimination policies
- Selection bias
- Decisions about coming out to managers/supervisors
- Dual career couples
- Glass ceilings
- Sharing information about personal life
- Company-sponsored social gatherings
UMBC’s OutList represents faculty and staff members who self-identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender or Queer and have chosen to be included on this virtual space. The OutList promotes greater visibility of the LGBTQ community and reflects the commitment to diversity and inclusivity at UMBC.
Student Orgs, Safe-Spaces, Contacts, and Services
Additional listing of resources UMBC has to offer LGBTQIA students.