Getting Started

View the full Handshake Help Article: Getting Started with Handshake

This online recruiting and job/internship listing system allows you to view and apply for full-time, internships/co-ops, part-time and temporary opportunities.

STEP 1: Log into Handshake.

Current students and recent alumni who have graduated in 2018 or later should already have a Handshake account prepopulated by Registrar data, and you can simply log in with your myUMBC single-sign-on credentials to activate the account.

New in-coming students and alumni, if Handshake does not find an existing account for you, using single-sign-on or your UMBC email address (in the username1@umbc.edu format), you can sign up for an account. Note to new students, you must be registered for classes to qualify for an account.

You will be asked to search for our school “University of Maryland, Baltimore County” then:

  • Sign up with your UMBC email address (in the username1@umbc.edu format) and Campus ID
  • Or alumni can sign up with a non-UMBC personal email address (gmail, yahoo, etc.)

All new account requests will be sent to a pending bin where a Career Center staff member will need to review and approve it. To expedite this process please email careers@umbc.edu.

STEP 2: Fill out information that will appear on your profile (you have the option to keep your profile private, share with employers, and/or share with other students on the Handshake network). Fill in any additional fields that will help Handshake suggest relevant jobs and events to you.

STEP 3: Upload your resume in .pdf, .doc or .docx format. Please be sure to check out our resume guide and sample resumes.

STEP 4: If you would like feedback on your resume by a staff member of the Career Center stop by during Drop-ins (see our current hours) or schedule a resume-review appointment.

For in-person appointments please bring a hard copy of your resume. The Career Center is located in Math/Psych, Room 201. During your appointment a Career Peer or staff member will review, provide feedback and/or approve your resume in Handshake.

STEP 5: Apply for positions under Jobs. For more search options, such as major, and employment industry, click the “All Filters” button.

Quick overview


Tips for Searching Handshake

What kind of positions are in Handshake?

All kinds! Full-time jobs (entry-level and experienced), part-time and on-campus jobs, internships, research positions, co-ops, fellowships, entrepreneurial opportunities and temporary/seasonal positions.

How do I find positions that fit my goals?

If you fill in Your Interests on your Profile, the jobs that Handshake shows you will be initially sorted by relevance to these interests, your school year and major. You can also use “All Filters” to narrow your search. For example, if your major is psychology, but you want a writing-focused internship, try adding English major to your search. You can also use the keyword search for terms that specifically fit your qualifications or what you’re looking for, such as “Mandarin,” “InDesign” or “animals.”

In addition, you may search by job role for a list of industry-related job types, such as “health services” or “human resources.”

Can I set up a search agent?

Yes! After selecting filters on your job search you can “Save your search.” Saved searches will notify you when new positions are added that meet your search criteria. You can return to and edit your saved search by going to Notifications > Edit Notification Preferences. For more details, see the Handshake article on Saved Job Searches and Alerts.


UMBC Career Center Disclaimer

The UMBC Career Center provides job placement related services to students and alumni. UMBC is not responsible for employers’ representations or guarantees with regard to job postings, nor is it responsible for wages, working conditions, safety, or other work-related issues that may arise after placement with an employer. If an individual believes that they are being discriminated against in the workplace, they should use the employer’s internal discrimination complaint process and/or consult private legal counsel. There may also be government agencies that will receive such complaints.