Got an internship, co-op, or research? Make it extraordinary.

Congratulations! Now that you have a position secured, be sure to take advantage of the Career Center’s options for recognition.

Intern Success Practicum Syllabus
Make the Most of Your Internship!

The Intern Success Practicum

The Practicum (PRAC 95/98/99) is a FREE, zero-credit, pass/fail course for students who are currently participating in an internship, co-op, or research position of 120+ hours.

You will receive a transcript notation of your professional experience while receiving guidance and support to help you excel at your site. UMBC students of all levels and disciplines are welcome to register.

Why Register?

PROFESSIONAL GROWTH: Relevant workshops, discussions, and employer panels help you take your experience to the next level.

FEEDBACK: Performance evaluation from your site supervisor.

SUPPORT & GUIDANCE: Career Center advice and guidance to help you make a great impression and overcome challenges.

TRANSCRIPT RECOGNITION: Your experience is sanctioned by UMBC and noted on your official academic transcript.

ACADEMIC CREDIT: You may be eligible to earn credit for your experience through your department. You may indicate if you’re interested in this option when you register for the Practicum.

Who Should Register for the Practicum?

  • Any undergraduate OR graduate student who wants to enhance their experience with support, structure, and professional development
  • Students who want to earn credit through an academic internship/research course that requires co-enrollment in the Practicum
  • F-1 visa students who need CPT to accept paid work off-campus (see the bottom of this page and the ISSS website for details)
  • Students who wish to maintain full-time status at UMBC while participating in a full-time fall or spring experience that prevents them from taking a full course load (must be enrolled in the full-time co-op section)

How to Register Online

Quick Instructions Guide to Submitting Experiences (intern, co-op, & research) to Handshake to Register Online.

  1. Log in to Handshake, then navigate to Career Center > Experiences.
  2. Click “Submit an Experience” and select “Career Center – 1. Internship/Co-Op Practicum, Credit Optional (PRAC 95/98/99) OR Career Center – 2. Research Practicum (PRAC 98C)” as the Experience Type. Fill in the required fields and submit.
  3. Once you have submitted your request, you must attach a letter or include an email verifying that you have been offered the position. The information should be documented on the organization’s letterhead or sent by someone from the organization’s email domain.

Your registration will be reviewed within five business days. The position will appear as “Pending” until the review is complete, and you will receive an email upon approval. If you have any questions, email us at


Earning Credit for Your Experience

You may be able to earn upper-level academic credit for your experience via a course in your academic department. Ultimately, a faculty member in your department will determine if your internship is credit-worthy, but the Career Center is a great place to start. Please contact us at if you would like to pursue credit. Many departments require the Intern Success Practicum as a co-requisite for earning internship/research credit.

Students attending USG should connect with the Center for Career Development by calling (301) 738-6338 or emailing to schedule an appointment on the Shady Grove campus.

Please note, Financial Aid awards are finalized based on the last day of ADD/DROP. Any internship or independent study credit added after that date will not be considered for aid eligibility. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid at (410) 455-2387 or via to discuss the potential impact of your courses on financial aid.


Applied Learning for International Students

The Career Center is pleased to work with the Office of International Students and Scholars (ISSS) to assist students searching for internship, research, and co-op opportunities for UMBC students with F-1 visas. For all UMBC students with F-1 visas, these experiences must fulfill the requirements for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) as established by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service.

To secure CPT, you must demonstrate that your internship, co-op, or research is an established part of your academic curriculum. Therefore, you must register for either the zero-credit Intern Success Practicum (see above for instructions), OR a for-credit internship, research, or independent study course. You may enroll in both; some for-credit courses require co-enrollment in the Intern Success Practicum.

If you are not sure which option to choose, please email us at We would be glad to help.


  • Specific questions about curricular or optional practical training (CPT/OPT) should be directed to the ISSS at
  • The Career Center cannot guarantee that every off-campus work experience will qualify for CPT/OPT.
  • If you obtain an internship/co-op on your own, without the assistance of the Career Center, we can still help you obtain CPT work authorization. Please review the full guidelines for CPT on the ISSS website.

Do not begin any off-campus experience without the appropriate I-20 authorization! To ensure that you obtain the authorization, we strongly suggest that you closely follow the steps listed on the CPT application form, which can be obtained via ISSS.