Un. of Chicago Summer Research Opportunity in Economics
Stipend, Housing, Travel Expenses & Meal Plan- Deadline to Apply Friday, 1/8/21
In special partnership with The Leadership Alliance, the University
of Chicago will select up to three current UMBC undergraduates for an
amazing research internship in economics. The program is designed for
undergraduate students with strong quantitative and analytical
backgrounds of ALL majors. This nine-week residential program exposes students to three program components: research, mentorship, and graduate
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Friday, 1/8/21
PROGRAM COMPONENTS include:
Research Mentors: Students will be matched with a faculty/research mentor. Students can learn more about research opportunity offerings by looking at faculty research profiles. All students participating in the summer session will also be guided by advisers outside of the laboratory environment.
Activities: Students are expected to spend a minimum of 40 hours/week conducting research and working with faculty/research mentors. In addition, students will participate in several program activities that will allow them to interact with other members of the academic community and summer research programs at the University of Chicago:
Weekly Workshops/Panel Discussions: Workshops on how to navigate the academy, including topics like getting the mentoring you need, self-care and community, communicating your research, the graduate admissions process, preparing grad applications, fellowships and funding opportunities, and study abroad.
Library or Facility tours: Participants will be acquainted with the shared library, research, and laboratory facilities as it pertains to their research placement.
University of Chicago Research Symposium: Near the end of the nine-week summer session, participants will give oral presentations of their work to fellow participants, faculty mentors, and research associates in a symposium on campus.
The Leadership Alliance National Research Symposium: Participants will travel to attend the national meeting of the Leadership Alliance to present their work and to network with other SR-EIP participants from different institutions, faculty/research mentors, and Leadership Alliance members and directors.
Recreational Activities: Social activities organized to acquaint participants with life on the University of Chicago campus and in the city of Chicago at large.
Monday, June 14, 2021 through Saturday, August 14, 2021 (9 weeks)
STIPEND AND ADDITIONAL SUPPORT:
- Housing: Participants will be offered room and board in an air-conditioned student dormitory residence located in the center of campus near several amenities, including a new state-of-the-art athletic facility.
- Participating students are eligible for reimbursement of approved expenses associated with round-trip travel to the University of Chicago from the student’s home city.
- Stipend & Meals: Participants will be offered a $5,000 stipend plus a $550 meal plan. Participating students will be given a dining card for the purchase of meals at the University dining facilities.
We seek applicants with an interest in research and willing to work hard for the summer in a stimulating environment!
- Rising Sophomores, Juniors & Seniors (at least one semester of undergraduate education remaining by the start of the summer program)
- Open to all analytical backgrounds including economic, finance, engineering, mathematics, physics, etc.
- 3.0 cumulative GPA or above
- Demonstrate an interest to pursue graduate study toward a PhD or MD/PhD
- Be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident status at the time of application.
Application Process- Required materials:
- Current Resume or Curriculum vitae
- Personal Statement: Two page discussion of the candidate's objective for the summer and future research goals. Include why you are interested in the program.
- Two letters of recommendation. Letters should be addressed to "Selection Committee"
- Unofficial Transcript
Please send these materials including recommendations via e-mail to:
Christine Routzahn, Director
UMBC Career Center
Deadline to Apply: Friday, January 8, 2021