So, you’ve decided it’s time to gain some real-world experience by landing a great internship in 2021. However, Interviews are often the most important decision-making component for an employer, so making sure you’re prepared to do your best is part of your career development.
DO YOUR RESEARCH
Knowledge is power, and in this case, your competitive edge when demonstrating your value to an employer. Knowing about their business, mission, industry, and products or services shows enthusiasm and helps to build your personal brand.
PLAN THE DETAILS
How can you best prep for your interview? Have your résumé & reference list handy. Also, plan out your professional outfit and get it pressed/cleaned. If in person, figure out a clear path to your destination or if virtual, double check that your software (Zoom, Webex, and etc.) and hardware (web camera, mic, and etc.) are operating and up to date.
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!
The potential for interview success is exponentially increased by reviewing and practicing your responses. Interview questions vary depending on the type of interview, but there are some questions that everyone should be prepared to answer. Practice is key. But don’t sound like a robot!
TIP OF THE DAY:
“A super important step is to send a letter and/or email thanking the employer for their time!”
WHAT’S MY NEXT STEP?
- Big Interview
- a FREE interview training system that features a new and innovative way to help you prepare more effectively for a job interview. Training AND practice are combined to help improve your interview technique and build your confidence. You can access a video curriculum and question library to learn how to craft your answers and then videotape your responses to review yourself or share with others for feedback.
- Schedule a with the Career Center to ask questions or improve your skills
- Interview Preparation and/or Evaluating Offers (Brief) – 30 minutes with your Internships Coordinator
- Interview Preparation and/or Evaluating Offers (Full Session) ) – 60 minutes with your Career Specialist
- Practice Interview with a Career Specialist (must schedule by phone or email) – 60 minutes with your Career Specialists
- (410) 455-2216 from 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Remember, all scheduling is handled in UMBCworks! While all staff are happy to communicate to students directly, our appointment calendars are managed though UMBCworks and require scheduling to occur at least 24-hours in advance.
Get the scoop on exciting internship opportunities! Follow the Career Center on Twitter, where we’ll be highlighting amazing internships across a variety of industries all week!