Career Center services during UMBC’s online learning period due to COVID-19
We recognize that the COVID-19 crisis has created concerns and challenges among our students, alumni and employer community. The Career Center remains committed to supporting each of you in the coming weeks and looks forward to providing many of our regular services in creative and technology-focused ways.
We are currently working remotely and have adopted the following measures to maximize the health and safety of our students and visiting employers, while minimizing disruption to career services.
NEW as of 4/6/2020: We now have virtual lobby hours for live assistance:
Career Center Webex Lobby Monday-Friday 12-1 p.m.
General questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Student intern questions: email@example.com
Employer support: firstname.lastname@example.org
UMBCworks support: email@example.com
Career Center Staff will monitor email and telephone messages 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. Questions and requests will be routed to the appropriate staff member for response. General questions can also be left on our main reception line at 410-455-2216.
Students & Alumni
- Career Center professionals are available for virtual appointments. Students and alumni may schedule individual 30- or 60-minute appointments through UMBCworks. Simply click on “Counseling Appt” from the UMBCworks homepage menu. After selecting your date/time of choice, you will be given the option for phone or Webex video/screen-share appointment mode. An increased number of virtual appointments are currently being made available. Drop-in hours are suspended until further notice or when campus resumes normal operations. The appointment fee for alumni is also being waived for all fist appointments during this period.
RESUME REVIEWS BY E-MAIL
- In place of our regular drop-in hours, students’ resumes can also be reviewed and approved by uploading them to UMBCworks and then sending an email to the Resume Review Inbox (ResumeReviews@umbc.edu). Resumes will be reviewed daily. Students should allow up to four business days to receive feedback on resumes. However, resumes can be approved sooner upon request. Students using the Resume Review Inbox would not be required to schedule a Webex/phone appointment with a Career Advisor, unless this is their preference.
WORKSHOPS, INFORMATION SESSIONS & EVENTS
- Career workshops and events are being offered virtually over the remaining spring semester. We’ll provide updates with the latest information on our myUMBC groups page along with UMBCworks.
IMPORTANT UNIVERSITY DIRECTIVE FOR APPLIED LEARNING, effective March 31, 2020
- In light of Governor Hogan’s Executive Orders and under the leadership and guidance from the University System of Maryland, UMBC is taking action to further mitigate the outbreak and protect the members of the campus community and the public. UMBC has issued a Directive for Applied Learning Experiences During COVID-19 to be effective immediately for students involved in University-recognized Internships, Cooperative Education, Research Experiences, Field Placement, and Service-Learning & Community Engagement activities (credit-bearing and non-credit-bearing). Students must transition to a fully online/remote or alternative learning environment with their host site/organization. Additional information is available here and will be updated as new details become available.
CAREER CENTER PRACTICUM COURSES FOR THOSE ENGAGED IN INTERNSHIPS, CO-OPS, RESEARCH, AND CAMPUS EMPLOYMENT
We recognize the unique challenges that the COVID-19 crisis continues to pose to students engaged in applied learning and are committed to supporting you during campus precautionary measures.
- The Center’s practicum courses, including PRAC 98, 99, and 102 will continue as planned, with alterations to assignments that originally involved in-person interactions with staff and employers on-campus. Alternative assignments and workshops will be shared via Blackboard. We are exercising flexibility with hour requirements for those enrolled in our practicum courses.
A variety of online career resources can be accessed 24/7. We encourage you to explore our full website for additional information.
- UMBCworks: UMBC’s official career platform where you can make appointments, access events, as well as hundreds of job and internship postings.
- Focus2: Take an online assessment to help get clarity on potential majors and career paths.
- GoinGlobal: Explore this global job and internship resource; country and city guides which include examples of country-specific resumes, and a H1B Plus database of employers seeking to hire international talent.
- Vault: Find information on a variety of careers as well as interviewing strategies and job search tips.
- Big Interview: Build confidence in your virtual interview skills through free access to this online platform.
The Employer Relations and Recruitment Programs team will continue to be available remotely to support your recruiting needs.
Services that we are able to offer at this time include:
- UMBCworks: Post your open internships, co-ops, and full- and part-time positions online for students and alumni to view for FREE. This platform serves as the best venue to recruit UMBC talent. Obtain an account to post your positions directly or feel free to email your opportunities directly to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Virtual Interview Schedules: Post your positions on UMBCworks and attach them to a virtual interview schedule.
- Webinars/Virtual Sessions: While on-campus sessions are suspended, we are happy to advertise your webinars and virtual opportunities to students and alumni. Please send details to email@example.com
- On-Campus Events: Our team will continue to monitor plans for events posted after April 5, 2020 and make updates as needed. See our current list of engagement opportunities.