UMBC Mentoring Program
Welcome to the New UMBC Professional Network
With this new UMBCworks feature, you will be able to view a list of all mentors/employers who have volunteered to be part of the Professional Network.
Please review and follow these helpful guidelines before contacting and requesting a mentor.
What is our Definition of a Mentor?
One who invests time, energy, and personal know-how in assisting with the professional growth and career planning of UMBC students.
How to Identify a Mentor:
Using UMBCworks to identify a mentor is very simple. Just follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Log into UMBCworks. (http://careers.umbc.edu/umbcworks/).
- Click on "networking" from the top menu.
- Review the mentor profiles and search for a mentor matching your interests using the main "Professional Network" tab or "Detailed Search" tab.
- Click on the name of a mentor you want to review.
- Once you have identified who you would like to have as a mentor, click the "Connect to Mentor" button on that mentor’s profile.
- In the pop-up message box, write the mentor a personalized message, letting them know why you are interested in them and ask questions you think they could help you with. For ideas on what to write read the Professional Correspondence page.
- Submit your interest message.
This is What Will Happen Next:
- The Mentor will receive a system email notifying them that you are interested in being mentored by them. The mentor will receive your name, email address, and the personalized message you wrote them. They can not see the information you have included in your UMBCworks student profile.
- From the list of mentors, you can also click the "Add Favorite" to add that mentor to the "Favorites” tab. This is especially useful if a mentor has reached their limit to the number of mentees they are willing to take on. If you save those mentors in your “Favorites” section, you can check back later to see if that favorite mentor is available.
- Mentors have been instructed to contact you within five to seven business days of receiving your interest notification email.
- Please note that there is no guarantee that the mentor you have selected will contact you and Career Services or Alumni Relations cannot control when or if you receive a reply