Practice (or mock) interviews are hour-long sessions where you can practice your interview skills in one-on-one setting with a career specialist. A career specialist will assume the role of an interviewer and ask you questions you might expect on an interview.
NOTE: While Interview Preparation appointments can be scheduled via UMBCworks, you must make Practice Interview appointments by calling our reception line at 410-455-2216.
Please do the following:
- Call the Career Center to schedule your mock interview appointment. You have the preference to have your session recorded.
- Complete the one-page exercise on Assessing Your Strengths.
Note: It’s strongly advised that you make an appointment with a career specialist interview after completing the Assessing Your Strengths exercise to help you further clarify your strengths and career goals. It is recommended you do this in advance of your practice interview.
- Review this JobBound video: Inside the Mind of an Interviewer.
- If possible, bring along a copy of the position for which you are being considered. If you are preparing for a graduate school interview, please select a school for the interview. Your career specialist will use this information to select and tailor questions for your session.
- Conduct research on the organization or graduate/professional school with whom you will be “interviewing.” (Interviewers expect candidates to do advance research. If no research is conducted, it can severely impact your ability to move on to the next interview phase.)
- Come dressed professionally and bring with you your resume, sample job description (if applicable), and a blank Interview Checklist form.
Not Quite Ready for a Practice Interview?
The Career Center also offers 60-minute appointments for interview preparation. If you are feeling nervous and/or are new to interviewing, you may wish to schedule an Interview Preparation appointment prior to your practice interview.
Ace the Interview
After the Interview