The Guide to Applying to Graduate Schools
Is graduate school the next step for you after completing your bachelor's degree at UMBC?
The following guide will help to structure your search for graduate programs. You will find
a graduate school timeline as well as suggestions for how to go about researching and identifying schools,
how to write a personal statement and even the small details you need to know about completing your graduate
school application are included. Finally, we list helpful resources as well as information and suggestions
on how to fund your advanced degree.
The career specialists in the Career Services Center are available to help you navigate the graduate
application process, including critiquing your personal statement. We wish you the best of luck with your
application and continued success on your journey to actualizing your potential. Read the entire online publication or use the list of topics below and the tabs on the right to jump ahead to your scetion of interest.
INTRODUCTION: Is Graduate School For You?
- Now or later?
- Common reasons to attend grad school
- Types of graduate degrees
- Special requirements for professional degree programs
Typical Time Line for Applying to Graduate School
Preparing for Graduate School
- Establishing relationships with faculty mentors
- List of Undergraduate Advisor Coordinators
- Building on Your Strengths
Selecting the Best Graduate Program for You
- Important questions to consider
- Researching programs of Interest
- Sources of Information
- Additional helpful websites
Completing the Applications
- What makes a strong application?
- Attacking the forms
- Personal statements and essays
- Obtaining letters of reference
- Suggestions for completing the application form
- Admissions tests
- Other supporting materials
- Making the most of interviews, visits, and auditions
- Sample interview questions
Funding your Graduate Education
- Estimating costs of attendance
- Assistantshipsóresearch, teaching, and other
- Fellowships, scholarships, and traineeships
- Student loans
- Federal and state financial aid
- Tuition benefits for military personnel and veterans
- Employer tuition benefits
- Internships/cooperative education
- Additional resources
- UMBC campus career partners offering graduate school application assistance
- Key service providers